“The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existence. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery each day. – Albert Einstein
I’d like to think I have very few wants in my life. That I can be content wherever and whenever I am.
But, if I’m honest with myself, I’m not. It doesn’t mean that I don’t love my life and my work. It just means that I was born with an insatiable curiosity, with a need to see the world, to wake up in new places, to end my days with new vistas.
- I want to walk down the road and take it all in. To observe the little pieces that combine to create the beating heart of a place. At neighborhood coffeeshops, with locals lined up at the bar. Where they always have the best recommendations and are usually up for a little chat about life, love, and art.
- I want to wander back alleys, where all the artists paint their murals on garage doors, on concrete walls, hidden away from the hustle of every day life. Where paintings of Frida Kahlo and palm trees whisper their secrets, where sharks swim and abstract shapes create vibrant, neon backdrops for everyday debris.
- I want to breathe in the salty air, with warm breezes and hammocks and sand at my feet. Where pink is a perfectly acceptable color for a home and the sun is an expected and welcome companion. Where boats sway in a bay of sparkling water.
- I want lunch in Italian cafes after hiking down a mountain and catching a train to God-knows-where. Where friends and family drink wine, eat pasta, and dream up their next adventure.
- I want to take a deep breath and open my eyes to see the ocean from Irish cliffs. Where everything is green and rock and foreign, but I’m perfectly at home. As if my connection to my ancestors traveled hundreds of years to present day and the land whispers “welcome back.”
- I want miles between stops, with my fingers trailing in the wind whistling past the car and the perfect playlist on the radio. Where everything feels right and just and the world melts away in that moment. All you have is that time and place. That feeling of freedom.
- I want to stop every 2 minutes because I’ve spotted something else beautiful and unexpected outside my car window. Where forests of oak and pine trees give way to tumbleweeds and cacti. Where the night sky speaks of wonder and you begin to unravel the mysteries within yourself.
- And most of all, I want a travel companion. Someone with whom I can share this experience of life and adventure. Someone with whom to gaze at sunsets and rainstorms and fireworks in the sky. Someone who understands that sometimes silence can be a blessing or that some moments you just need to turn up with music and roll down the windows.
May the road rise up to meet you,